Pay as you go workers compensation is becoming more popular and often requested by temp staffing companies thanks to a number of benefits that it can provide. The traditional method of providing work comp insurance involves paying upfront costs based on estimated payroll and then not knowing final costs until you complete the annual audit of the actual incurred payroll. Pay as you go workers comp is a more common sense approach to the issue, and one that can save you time and money as well as providing you with many other benefits. Workers comp is required by law, and pay as you go workers compensation offers you the best way to stay compliant while controlling unessary out of pocket costs. Here are some of the biggest benefits that pay as you go workers comp has to offer.
- Lower startup costs – Pay as you go workers compensation eliminates the huge up-front payments that traditional policies include. Typically with pay as you go workers compensation you only need to pay an estimated first months premium and after that you’ll pay into the account in real time, giving you the ability to better manage your cash flow. Pay as you go workers compensation lets you keep more money to operate your business and only pay what you owe.
- No Estimates – Pay as you go workers comp allows you to avoid the archaic estimated payment method that other policies use. With pay as you go workers comp your payments are based on actual data and figures from your payroll based on classification code.
- No Audits – For most Temp Staffing Companies, this is the biggest benefit of pay as you go workers compensation policy. Even though they could end in a return on your payments, audits can result in surprise additional costs and time consuming. Having other parties review all of your company data can be stressful and many times the interpretation of the basic NCCI manual varies from auditor to auditor depending on company guidance as well. Pay as you go workers compensation eliminates the need for costly year-end audits and allows you to keep your company moving forward.
- Real Time Management – Know your total costs and profit margin or payroll burden upfront. With pay as you go workers comp you can review data as you need to and get an accurate look at your costs to do business. So when you add a new code you can get the total costs right then and know the costs even before you report at months end.
- Saved Money and Time – These benefits of pay as you go workers comp are honestly countless and free your time to run your company. Pay as you go workers comp saves your company money by eliminating audits and up-front payments, and saves you time by eliminating audits and letting you manage your information quickly. In short, pay as you go workers compensation is the best way to solve your workers compensation needs. MIG Temp Staffing Division offers Pay As You Go Work Comp on several different carrier platforms depending on state exposure, class codes, years in business, loss history and total payroll. Please visit www.StaffingWC.com for more information.
MIG is your resource for Temp Staffing Insurance! As a proud member of the American Staffing Association we will always continue to innovate with new programs that best fit the needs of your industry.
Finally a solution for the everyday temp staffing firm in California searching for work comp. MIG Staffing Division has a turn key program for startups and experienced temp staffing firms alike. California work comp coverage for temp staffing firms has always been a struggle. At MIG we can solve this problem with our latest offering. We also offer the following services to our clients.
- Payroll Funding
- Back office support
- Work Comp Administration
- ACA Compliance Solutions
- HR Support Desk
- Loss Control Services
We can custom tailor a program to fit your needs. Unlike template programs we can scale a program for a startup or a company that has some loss issues and has trouble finding WC at all. Our services encompass the bulk of administrative items that every employer has to deal with, specifically with payroll/tax compliance, benefits, risk management, and human resources. We take on the full responsibility for reporting and paying payroll taxes accurately. We provide a myriad of benefit plan options and administer those plans, as well as answer employee questions about their insurance coverage. We cover the workers’ compensation risks and provide safety training to help minimize their exposure with safe work practices. We assist companies with the latest HR issues critical to employment, from employee selection, retention and performance, to compliance with EEO, Affirmative Action, OSHA compliance and other regulations. Our cost-effective services enhance profitability. Please visit: http://www.staffingwc.com/ca-staffing.html
Due to the employer mandate to provide eligible temp employees with health coverage we see more exposure for temp staffing firms to be sued due to errors made in administration of employee benefits than ever before. So today lets discuss Employee Benefits Liability Coverage – This is the liability of an employer for an error or omission in the administration of an employee benefit program, such as failure to advise employees of benefit programs etc. Coverage of this exposure is usually provided by endorsement to the general liability policy but may also be provided by a fiduciary liability policy.
Small clerical errors can have major consequences when administering benefits for an employee. For example, suppose your temp staffing firm hires Bob, a new maintenance employee. After the mandatory waiting period Bob completes paperwork to enroll in the company-sponsored health plan. Due to a clerical error by internal staff employee Bob is not enrolled. Several months later Bob is hospitalized with a serious illness and he discovers he has no health insurance. When his medical bills begin to pile up Bob seeks restitution by suing both the employee and your firm.
Claims like Bob’s are not covered under commercial general liability policies because an administrative error is not an “occurrence” as that term is usually defined. This can leave a costly settlement that you have to pay yourself because you failed to add a simple endorsement onto your GL package you might not even have known about.
The types of errors covered by a specific EBL endorsement are often determined by the definition of the word administration. This term generally applies to acts, errors or omissions in:
- Describing the benefit plans and eligibility rules to employees, other eligible family members and beneficiaries. Example: A benefits manager mistakenly tells an employee that her live-in boyfriend is eligible for the company-sponsored health insurance plan.
- Maintaining files and records related to employee benefits, whether the records are electronic or paper. Example: A benefits worker accidentally erases an employee’s electronic file or loses his or her paper file.
- Enrolling, maintaining and terminating employees, eligible family members or beneficiaries in benefit plans. Example: A benefits worker fails to add an employee’s beneficiary to a life insurance plan provided by the employer.
The need for EBL coverage varies depending on employee head count and benefits provided. The coverage protects employers by serving as a hedge against large claims by disgruntled employees or their dependents. It should not be used as a substitute for good risk management. A firm that employs a small number of workers or that offers few or no benefits will not need this coverage. Your agent or broker can help you decide whether EBL coverage makes sense for your company or as usual we will be happy to help. Please email me anytime if you would like to discuss your liability or insurance package.
To view your company through the eyes of an insurance carrier (someone who sees the worst case scenario everyday) can actually make your company better. I know everything from a loss control report cannot be implemented in the real world but let me elaborate on this. Any ole Joe can knock on your door and sell you “cheap” insurance. It doesn’t take any industry expertise to do this and it’s not a bad thing to get a good price but it won’t last and that’s a promise.
It may be that the insurance carrier is buying business to build their book in a marketplace or they just priced business cheaply not fully understanding the liability of a specific industry. When we look at insurance rates think about cost for future claims. Insurance companies typically price business to pay for their in house overhead and reinsurance plus claims costs. The only windfall they see would come from true underwriting profit. (aka less claims than predicted = profit). What you need to ask yourself is what am I doing to prevent claims from happening. Once a claim hits the adjusters desk the only other action is getting the employee back to work quickly. Just ask yourself and answer honestly… Are litigation and medical costs going down? EXACTLY!!!
This would mean your business falls within a scale of underwriting called a loss pick. That means the underwriter calculates the past claims in a formula to see how much your insurance should cost in order to pay future claims plus administrative costs. This is where loss control can help… If you implement procedures to reduce your liability in the first place then the potential for loss is less. So your loss pick/premium will be less!!!
Anyone who can assist you and/or your company to be less likely to have a claim in the first place is worth your time. You should understand that the procedures you put in place now can help your company avoid claims or lawsuits altogether thus making you more insurable. More competition means better prices long term so you don’t have to look for the next sugar rush from the latest fad company trying to “buy” your business. You need to position yourself where you are so profitable to an insurance company that you can either accept the risk yourself through a captive or self insurance program or simply take the savings to offset all the risk in the chance there is a catastrophic claim. If you would like to know more about market strategy or would like to complete a full risk evaluation I will be more than happy to help.
TN Auto and Home Coverage
Temporary Staffing Insurance
Comp Solutions Group
If you are a temporary staffing company that has been in business for any time at all you know that finding suitable workers’ compensation insurance is VERY difficult. The task usually begins with your agent gathering several pieces of information and then you wait… And you wait some more. Then the week of your renewal the “proposals” start coming in. If you’re lucky!
Madison Insurance Group is different because we control the underwriting process. We hold the carriers accountable to a drop dead date well in advance of your renewal and we typically can deliver a renewal price about 30 days in advance of the renewal date. If you sign on as an exclusive customer of our group, we don’t play poker with your renewal pricing. As a broker we work solely on your behalf to gather the best quotes from the marketplace for you. We work on volume so we don’t get rich of any one deal and jacking up a premium to make an extra buck is just dirty pool.
At Madison Insurance Group Temp Staffing Insurance Division we also have something else to offer our customers. We have an exclusive program to insure temp staffing companies and the underwriting is all done in house. This means we can give you straight answers about your renewal and/or your work comp policy. Take a moment to check us out on the web StaffingWC.com and feel free to contact me anytime. I am here to earn your business and I will work harder than the other guys to prove it.
The first post I want to make is to introduce myself, our company and my website. My name is Russ Rymer and I am an insurance agent for Madison Insurance Group. I’ve spent 10+ years in commercial insurance and several years learning the business as a work comp underwriter. I am a former US Marine that served in Fallujah, Iraq in 2005 as a Combat Engineer. That’s a fancy way of saying I blew stuff up before it blew us up. But this previous life prepared me to know how to work under pressure and get the best results. I am married and a father of two beautiful children (more experience under pressure LOL). Madison Insurance Group is a retail insurance agency specializing in several industries and general business insurance along with personal home auto life and health insurance. Madison Insurance Group – Temporary Staffing Insurance Division specializes in temp staffing work comp and that’s where my background comes in handy. Our website is located at StaffingWC.com if you wanna take a look.
Temporary staffing is a difficult industry to insure so it takes a specialist to understand the nuances that make the industry tick. Temp staffing firms desire responsive service to their requests so they can take care of their clients. Like a game of telephone this can be tricky. MIG has invested in service portals like CSR 24 that allow our customers to access their certificates of insurance seamlessly from our website 24/7. We also have access to markets that specifically work with the temp staffing industry. Temp staffing work comp being the most difficult exposure we have also invested in access to our own programs exclusively to insure our customers. This means that when you’re a MIG customer you have access to these markets and with our world class partners like RCG you are getting the best loss control and claims management the industry has to offer.
Madison Insurance Group – Temporary Staffing Insurance Division can also be your one stop solution for Work Comp, General Liability, E&O, Bonding, Hired and non-owned auto coverage, Umbrella and Employment Practices Liability. We pride ourself on being the best in our industry at providing the best products at the best possible price. We understand your needs and will work tirelessly until you’re satisfied with the results. As a broker/agent we a aren’t beholden to any carrier and we are solely responsible for the satisfaction of our clients. We hope for the opportunity to earn your business!
All of our applications and my contact information can be found at StaffingWC.com